BDO. Because relationships matter.
There are many world-class accounting firms. Far fewer that offer a culture so rich in professional opportunity, personal fulfillment, and long-term growth. At BDO, we understand that exceptional service to our clients begins – and ends – with exceptional regard for our people. Because at its core, our business is not about numbers or spreadsheets, dollars or cents, but about people working with, for, and in service of others. In short, because relationships matter.
BDO Canada is currently seeking a Corporate Affairs Team Specialist within our Toronto National Office. This position supports the CEO, COO and Corporate Affairs team by facilitating the efficient and effective functioning of the Executive Office and its respective team to advance priority objectives of the firm.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a strong business acumen who can collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to deliver on firm-wide initiatives.
You will be joining a team of recognized experts responsible for delivering the overall firm strategy; you will play an integral part in assisting the firm to deliver on strategic initiatives.
This is a hybrid role with 60% of time dedicated to supporting the CEO and COO as an Executive Assistant, 30% of time supporting Corporate Affairs team strategic projects, and 10% of time on meeting and event coordination.
Enable the CEO and COO to shape and implement BDO Canada’s vision and strategy:
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO and COO, including: managing extremely active calendars of appointments and extensive rescheduling; composing and preparing reports, meeting minutes, remarks, slide decks; arranging complex and detailed agendas, travel plans, and itineraries; completing expense reports.
- Plan, coordinate and ensure the CEO and COO schedule is followed and respected. Provide "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO and COO’s time and office.
- Proactively anticipate the needs of the CEO and COO, and ensure accuracy, coordination and prioritization/optimization of their time.
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO and COO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the Executive Office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with internal and external senior leaders.
- Work closely and effectively with the CEO and COO to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Act as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO and COO updated.
- Provide leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the firm, and manage a variety of special projects for the CEO and COO to support strategic initiatives that contribute to delivering the firms’ strategy.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO and COO’s ability to effectively lead the firm.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the CEO and COO, with executive team, board members, senior leaders, external stakeholders, and others on important matters.
Corporate Affairs Team Support
Enable the Corporate Affairs Team to implement BDO Canada’s strategy initiatives:
- Support the Corporate Affairs team in planning and executing strategic initiatives.
- Contribute substantively to the development and execution of strategic initiatives and business processes, ensuring alignment with overall firm objectives.
- Take on project management tasks for strategic projects to ensure projects are delivered effectively and on time.
- Prepare reports regarding project status and keep leadership informed of project direction and renegotiate direction as necessary.
- Solicit input from and coordinate with firm leadership to track, monitor, and follow the progress of projects, action items, and business strategies that come up from the Corporate Affairs team.
- Support administrative tasks including scheduling and organizing meetings and managing calendars.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by Corporate Affairs team.
Meetings and Events Support
Enable the Corporate Affairs Team to successfully coordinate meetings and events:
- Coordinate and execute logistics for CEO and COO meetings, Corporate Affairs events and ad-hoc meetings.
- Program planning, execution, task management, vendor relations, administrative, upkeep and status reports.
- Coordinate facilities requirements and function orders.
- Budget management – plan to the budget.
- Liaise with delegates and speakers.
- Maintain detailed and accurate event files.
- Timeline management.
- Provide administrative support to other members of event planning team.
Professional Skills and Knowledge:
- Proven project management success with strong track record of on-time, on-budget and to-specification delivery of projects.
- Ability to manage various projects and priorities simultaneously in a fast moving environment. Attention to detail is essential.
- Strong problem solving skills with ability to clearly and articulately identify and define problems and develop creative solutions.
- Proven decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, ability to navigate internal and external politics, and build and maintain strong relationship management.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in relationships and communications with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates an inquisitive, positive and helpful attitude.
- Tech-savvy. Very comfortable learning and using current and new technology solutions and platforms to enhance efficiency. Ability to problem solve minor technical issues on your own.
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills.
Education and Professional Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 6+ years of progressive, applicable experience. Prior professional services firm or large matrix organization experience is an asset.
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way