BDO is one of the leading accounting and advisory firms in Canada with 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, taxation and advisory services to a broad range of clients. With a national team of more than 3,000 partners and professionals, BDO proudly represents the diverse backgrounds, cultures and people that make up our country.
BDO’s Forensics practice specializes in investigative accounting to resolve financial issues. Issues often relate to the quantification of economic damages that occur due to fraud or accidents. In addition, our services include litigation support, quantifying personal/commercial insurance losses, providing expert testimony and more.
The Forensics Team is growing rapidly and we are looking for a Senior Manager experienced in forensic accounting to join our team.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing projects and monitoring the quality of work performed on the forensic accounting engagements, including quantification of insurance claims, fraud investigations and damages quantification arising in a litigation context
- Review and analysis of financial data for the purposes of supporting the preparation of our expert reports
- Correspondence with clients, insurance adjusters, risk managers, internal accounting staff and lawyers discussing file issues and our findings
- Ability to assume broader financial, resource and administrative accountabilities in addition to individual engagement work
- Conduct formal project/team performance reviews and provide input relating to individual performance ratings
- Develop and maintain client relationships at the highest level, including accountability for most operational aspects of client engagement where frequent travel to client sites is required
- Develop the capabilities of less experienced staff through coaching, mentoring, knowledge transfer, internal training delivery, and assignment of challenging work opportunities
- Effectively lead management teams in the planning and execution of Forensic and Investigative accounting projects and engagements, including compiling financial data, performing analysis and preparing recommendations
- In conjunction with Human Resources, participate in interviews and assist in selecting new talent during recruitment periods
- Initiate strategic and client contact, ensuring that all client needs are met and that account development and fee growth follows
- Plan, scope and direct complex client assignments/projects, determining assignment costs, resources and fees for Partner approval
- Prepare reports, schedules and appendices in a clear and concise manner in accordance with generally accepted standards for these type of assignments
- Participate in the business development activities
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in forensic accounting
- Accounting designation required. Specialty accounting designation (i.e. CBV, IFA, CFE) would be an asset
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to write reports and communicate ideas effectively in writing
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to establish relationships with staff and clients
- Strong analytical, accounting and auditing skills
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational skills
- Able to prioritize with the flexibility to manage workload demands and multiple tasks as required
- The ability and willingness to travel within Canada and internationally will also be expected in this role
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO offers market leading work flexibility enabled by technology and a supportive team
- Opportunity to develop through projects
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory network in the world
- At BDO we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with a diverse team
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.