We are currently looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial person to join our team in the position of Indirect Tax Manager based out of either our Collingwood or London office. Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume.
Acting as a business advisor, the successful applicant will become a contact person for the firm's clients and his colleagues in regards to indirect tax. In this role, the candidate will be required to provide advice on indirect taxes (asset acquisition/disposition, new products/services, imports, etc.) as well as develop practical and innovative solutions. The successful applicant will also represent clients with indirect tax audits and objections.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Advise the firm’s clients on the application of indirect taxes in a business context and ensuring appropriate compliance procedures
- Act as resource person for colleagues in other departments
- Provide indirect tax advice in various firm mandates, such as business acquisition/disposition or restructuring
- Participate actively in developing indirect tax mandates
- Support clients during tax audits
- Analyze assessment projects, or assessments, and represent clients in disputes with government authorities
- Perform research on indirect tax issues; write tax memorandums
- Provide assistance with respect to voluntary disclosures
- Participate in internal and external client training, and training of junior indirect tax staff
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Hold a CPA designation, be a lawyer or a notary
- Hold, or in the process of obtaining, a Masters degree in Tax, Advanced Graduate Diploma in Tax, or completed CPA Canada's "GST In-Depth Tax Course" is an asset
- At least four years’ experience in indirect taxes
- Strong technical knowledge of indirect tax matters
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and proven ability with practical and innovative solutions
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Manage engagements independently
- Strong will to improve technical knowledge in indirect tax
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and in English
- Good knowledge of MS Office and tax research software
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO offers market leading work flexibility enabled by technology and a supportive team
- Opportunity to develop through projects
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory network in the world
- At BDO we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with a diverse team
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.