Summary of Position
BDO’s Financial Advisory Services practice (FAS) is currently seeking an experienced Manager or Senior Manager to help build our Business Valuations Practice in our mid-market Ottawa region. Our role in the FAS group is to provide Business Valuation, Litigation Support, M&A, Financing and Damage Quantification services to internal and external clients. Our valuation services primarily include rendering of conclusions on the value of businesses, intangible assets, equity interests, financial instruments and quantification of damages.
The Valuations Manager or Senior Manager will play an active role building a new practice in our mid-market region. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the business development and growth of a new practice as well as managing & carrying out business valuation mandates. The position will lead to a partnership opportunity for the right candidate.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Growing and developing the practice
- Develop relationships with BDO's current and prospective clients and referral sources through demonstration of strong subject-matter expertise and marketing efforts
- Conduct loss quantification and business valuation within a litigation framework
- Lead engagements on loss quantification and business valuation with regards to matrimonial disputes, shareholder disputes, breach of contract, misrepresentations, construction disruption and delay, business interruption, oppression remedy, and expropriation
- Lead business valuation engagements for tax, general planning, and transaction advisory purposes
- Lead and assist with mandates regarding the sale of businesses
- Assist in the ongoing training and development of professional staff for this service area
- Oversee and provide coaching to CBV’s and CBV students on file engagements and provide general career coaching
- Take part in discussions and meetings with the management of the companies involved and other BDO team members
- Analyze company and industry-specific strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats with a view to determining the cash flow risks of the companies involved
- Oversee the modeling used for the valuation and writing of detailed valuation and expert reports
- Provide ongoing communication with the valuation Practice Leader concerning file execution and service area development initiatives
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Chartered Business Valuator (CBV) designation completed, with a four or more years of public practice valuation experience preferred
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation preferred, but not required
- Matrimonial litigation experience preferred
- Transaction experience preferred
- Fair value financial reporting experience preferred (PPAs, impairments, financial instruments)
- Technical accounting knowledge in IFRS, ASPE and US GAAP preferred
- Bilingual in English & French is considered an asset
- Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills commensurate with your level of experience
- Strong leadership and teambuilding skills
- Business savvy, including general interest in the equity and debt markets, local and global economics, and general finance.
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the world’s fifth-largest accounting and advisory firm.
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset. We offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you succeed both professionally and personally.
- We provide competitive salaries and a flexible benefits package.
- You will have the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals who will support your career development.
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives such as FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger,” etc.
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.