BDO. Because relationships matter.
There are many world-class accounting firms. Far fewer that offer a culture so rich in professional opportunity, personal fulfillment, and long-term growth. At BDO, we understand that exceptional service to our clients begins – and ends – with exceptional regard for our people. Because at its core, our business is not about numbers or spreadsheets, dollars or pence, but about people working with, for, and in service of others. In short, because relationships matter.
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Accounting Technician (non-audit) for our Oshawa office. Under the supervision of a Manager or Partner, the Senior Accounting Technician is responsible for completing tasks including creating financial statements and income tax returns for compilation and review engagements.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Involvement with work related to engagement assignments, including review, compilation, and bookkeeping engagements, in addition to personal and corporate tax returns
• Providing assistance with audit fieldwork as assigned
• Responsibility for preparation and completion of working papers, financial statements and tax returns for compilation and review engagements according to Firm and regulatory standards for clients in a variety of businesses and non-profit enterprises
• Building effective working relationships with client contacts and responding effectively to client requests
• Completion of small audits (i.e. audits of small non-profit organizations)
• Completion of trust returns and trust working papers
• Coordination of tax assignments including preparation of tax returns (T1, T2, T4, T5, GST/HST), and coordination with the tax department to ensure queries are cleared and deadlines are met
• Ensuring that all significant engagement matters are documented and brought to the attention of the Partner/Associate/Senior Manager/Manager, as well as keeping them informed of the progress of the engagement
• Following-up with appropriate government agencies on questions relating to payroll, assessments, GST/HST, business numbers, applications for income security programs (CPP,OAS, GIS)
• Assisting and training junior and intermediate accounting technicians
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
• Minimum of 5 years of public accounting, bookkeeping and review experience
• Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in Accounting or Business
• Professional designation an asset; CPA (including legacy CA, CMA, or CGA)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of Caseware and Tax Prep and asset
• Flexible, proactive and commercially focused with excellent project management skills
• Strong analytical skills and ability to spot errors obvious errors quickly
• Ability to work on a self-directed basis in a high-growth and continually challenging environment
• Proficiency in writing clear, effective and well-structured business documentation
• Ability to prioritize workloads and manage multiple tasks and deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to anticipate and solve problems and resolve issues
• Exposure to international business an asset
One Firm engaged to make a difference through valued relationships with our people, clients and communities.