BDO’s Financial Recovery Services (FRS) practice is growing again! With over 100 offices across the country, FRS has established a reputation for customer service, quality and results. Our financial recovery specialists provide creative, constructive, and cost-effective debt solutions for businesses and individuals. Our licensed professionals combine business management, analytical and insolvency skills with hands-on industry experience to ensure our clients receive consistent and personalized service.
BDO is currently looking for an experienced Licensed Insolvency Trustee in the BDO Gatineau office who is an entrepreneur at heart. This is a unique opportunity to expand the BDO FRS market into Gatineau. You will be responsible for the debt restructuring of mid-market companies as well as filing consumer proposal and personal bankruptcy claims. The incumbent must be able to work in a confidential environment, be flexible and adaptable within a fast-paced environment, and be able to work independently as well as within a team.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Manage corporate and consumer bankruptcy and proposal files
- Provide advice on current bankruptcy laws and practices, management of corporate insolvencies (including acting as Licensed Insolvency Trustee on estates), management of recovery of assets (including acting as Receivers), and assisting troubled companies, advising lenders, creditors or shareholders through financial reviews, business turnarounds, financial restructuring (formal or informal), bankruptcies and liquidations
- Supervise junior staff and delegate tasks and projects as required
- Ongoing communications with debtors, creditors, the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy, and the Courts through creditor meetings, reports, attendance at Court, etc.
- Ability to identify, target, and develop referral sources.
- Assist with practice development assignments.
- Travel to other BDO offices and off site locations as required
- Flexibility to meet individuals during off-hours
- Assist with managing court files, including taxation of fees
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Fully Licensed Insolvency Trustee, or close to obtaining the license (Chartered Insolvency and Restructuring Professional (CIRP))
- Accounting designation (CPA-CA/CPA-CMA/CPA-CGA) an asset
- 5 or more years of related experience within the Insolvency field
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of insolvency rules, laws and procedures
- Able to liaise well with staff and outside parties
- Strong oral and written communications skills, in both French and English
- Good working knowledge of Ascend software
- Proficient in MS Office (Word/Excel/Outlook)
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational skills
- Able to prioritize with the flexibility to manage workload demands and multiple tasks as required
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world, with a second-to-none international affiliation of co-branded firms
- Leading US practice in Canadian mid-market and Montreal
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way
To be the best professional services firm in the mid-market.