BDO Law LLP is a newly formed law firm affiliated with BDO Canada LLP, one of Canada's largest accounting services firms. BDO Law offers a wide range of corporate and commercial legal services to clients across Canada. We work in a fast paced, team-oriented environment based out of BDO Canada’s National office in downtown Toronto.
BDO Law LLP has an immediate opening for a Legal Counsel to join our team for a 12-month contract with the potential for extension or permanent employment at the contract's completion. The successful candidate will be comfortable advising clients on corporate and commercial matters.
The incumbent will also have an opportunity for professional development by putting forth his or her best efforts through exposure to diverse corporate transactions, an opportunity for mentoring and continued legal education while making a significant contribution towards the development of our new firm.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Advising clients on corporate, partnership and trust matters, such as incorporations, trust and partnership formations, reorganizations, rollovers, etc.;
- Drafting various corporate, partnership and commercial documents and agreements, including unanimous shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and trust agreement;
- Advising clients on share and asset transactions (M&A) and negotiating on their behalf;
- Experience in any of the following would be advantageous: wills and estates, real estate, commercial leasing, personal and corporate tax.
- Ability to handle a high volume of matters and a focus on quality and timeliness.
- Support the growth of BDO’s new legal practice, by partnering with the senior legal counsel and senior corporate clerk to develop systems, policies and procedures.
- Sustain and develop your knowledge of corporate/commercial, tax and other areas of law that affect BDO’s clients.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated interest in corporate and commercial law and an interest in developing a busy transactional practice
- LL.B or JD
- Admitted or qualified to be admitted by transfer to the Bar of Ontario (admissions to other Canadian provincial bars would be advantageous)
- 2-5 years of previous job-related work experience
- Ability to influence and motivate
- Strong written communication abilities
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO offers market leading work flexibility enabled by technology and a supportive team
- Opportunity to develop through projects
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory network in the world
- At BDO we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with a diverse team
BDO Law LLP is committed to redefining how corporate legal services are delivered while being engaged to make a difference through valued relationships with our people, clients and communities.