BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO Business Transition Services provides business transition and family enterprise advisory services to business families, private businesses and other stakeholder groups. We are highly specialized consultants located in several regions across Canada.
The Family Business Consultant is responsible for working with family businesses of various sizes and stages of development. The Consultant will assist family business with developing a strategic plan for their business; focusing on the ownership, business and family or personal systems in which they live and work. This role requires facilitation skills, initiative, self-direction, organizational skills and attention to detail.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Internal administration & Client Support
- Participate in BTS team meetings
- Assist in BTS service/product development and improvement
- Populate and Update database of industry articles research studies and published statistics
- Prepare client meeting reports and supplementary documentation
- Populate and update centralize library access through Sharepoint
- Develop material for external workshops and speaking engagements
- Continue development of collateral materials, case studies, articles etc.
- Develop and maintain affiliations with Family Enterprise Advisory industry groups
- Create internal and external communication material
Marketing and Business Development:
- Develop new business opportunities and revenue
- Promote the program and build personal brand through social media activity
- Lead internal and external speaking engagements and workshops
- Initiate client/prospect discovery meetings
- Engage all offices in Central Group and meet with all partners serving private company clients
- Attend networking events to promote family business transition services
- Engage industry leaders
- Deliver general transition planning projects both independently and as a part of a consulting team
- Facilitate strategic development and implementation specifically in the areas of management transition, leadership/successor development, team building, family and corporate governance, values definition, family charters
- Promote and participate in a multi-disciplinary approach to transition planning
- Increase personal knowledge and reputation in the area of Family Business Consulting
- Continue professional development to reinforce and increase your career path
- Maintain technical proficiency through professional reading and/or professional development courses
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Formal learning through FEA, FFI or equivalent
- 1 - 3 years’ experience delivering family business transition engagements
- Strong facilitation skills
- Ability to sell and deliver services
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to solve problems and think logically
- Ability to help clients come to their own conclusion
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Displays integrity and approaches tasks in a professional manner
- This role requires travel to other offices and client locations within Southern Ontario
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.