BDO Canada has an immediate opening for an Intermediate US Tax Accountant for our Montreal US Personal Tax group. In conjunction with their manager and other team members, the Intermediate Accountant, US Tax is responsible for working with managers and other team members on tax compliance and consulting engagements with a focus on US taxation for a broad client base. In an environment of continuous learning, the incumbent carries out the completion of work projects and assignments under the direct supervision of their manager or another more experienced team member.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Prepares US and Canadian tax returns for individuals
- Prepares various US and Canadian foreign reporting forms and information reports
- Prepares US trust and estate tax returns
- Reviews and responds to related tax notices
- Conducts and documents related tax research (as required)
- Corresponds with Internal Revenue Service, State taxation authorities, Canada Revenue Agency and applicable provincial taxation authorities
- Mentor and train junior staff
- Interacts with internal and external clients of the U.S. Tax Group
- Assists US Tax Group Staff Accountants and Tax Managers (as required)
- Assists with special projects and completes other ad-hoc duties as assigned
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Two or more years of experience in an accounting or tax role with exposure to US Tax
- Working towards CPA designation preferred (Canadian or U.S.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills in French and in English
- Knowledge of GoSystems RS and GoFileRoom an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office together with knowledge of CaseWare and TaxPrep
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Motivated and diligent in maintaining current technical knowledge in the area of U.S. Tax
- Ability to prioritize workloads and the flexibility to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work extra hours as required
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.