BDO Canada LLP requires an experienced Accounting Technician who will be responsible for providing accounting services to our clients. Located in our Manotick office, the incumbent must be able to work within a confidential environment, be flexible and adaptable to multiple requirements of the role, ability to work independently and within a team environment. Local travel will require access to a vehicle for travel to clients.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Involvement with work related to engagement assignments, including review, compilation, and bookkeeping engagements, in addition to personal and corporate tax returns
- Preparation and completion of working papers, financial statements and tax returns for compilation and review engagements according to Firm and regulatory standards for clients in a variety of businesses
- Ensuring that all significant engagement matters are documented and brought to the attention of the Senior Manager/Manager/Partner, as well as keeping them informed of the progress of the engagement
- Completion of small audits (e.g. audits of small non-profit organizations)
- Coordination of tax assignments including preparation of tax returns (T1, T2s, T4s, T5s, HST), and coordination with the tax department to ensure queries are cleared and deadlines are met
- Preparation of correspondence and assessment filings for personal and corporate tax returns to be approved by supervisor
- Preparation of any adjustments required for personal tax returns and/or HST filings
- Following-up with appropriate government agencies on questions relating to payroll, assessments, HST, business numbers, applications for income security programs (CPP,OAS, GIS)
- Completion of trust returns and trust working papers
- Providing assistance to clients with accounting software, bookkeeping, and data entry as assigned
- Providing assistance with audit fieldwork as assigned.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Post-secondary diploma or certificate in Accounting or Business
- Proficiency with MS Office (including Word and Excel)
- Previous experience with accounting programs including Caseware, Caseview, QuickBooks
- Previous experience with TaxPrep, or a similar tax program
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Outstanding client/customer service skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Solid knowledge and understanding of required government taxes (payroll, consumer and other business)
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way
The best professional services firm in the mid-market.