Come grow with us!
Are you looking for an opportunity to be a part of an exceptional team of people? Are you interested in a work environment where innovation and initiative are encouraged and rewarded? If you thrive on change, love a challenge and continuously strive for excellence, we have a position for you!
BDO Canada LLP is a recognized Microsoft Partner firm that develops and integrates creative software solutions using the Microsoft Application Platform. With numerous Gold and Silver certifications, we provide high business value to all of our customers.
We are currently looking for a Senior BI Consultant to join our organization.
The role of Senior BI Consultant is an integral part of our delivery practice as we execute on enterprise level engagements through our various industry specializations. Listed below are supporting details for the role.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Engage directly with clients and drive the implementation and successful end user experience of business intelligence solutions. Provide key direct support in resolution of solution issues.
- Design and develop relationship and dimensional data models for projects in industries such as Natural Resources, Healthcare, Retail, and Finance.
- As a technical leader, drive project initiatives collaborating with the delivery team ensuring that solution development milestones and deadlines are met.
- Evolve leading-edge techniques for developing and managing business intelligence solutions for our customers.
- Be a leader and contributor in developing an environment of continuous improvement across development groups.
- Analyze and provide feedback on peer designs in an open and collaborative design review forum.
- Delivering on development activities on time and on budget per project plan with the highest level of quality while producing code that is secure, reliable, reusable and scalable.
- Understand and help refine un-stated requirements & work with the Development Manager, Business Analyst, and Project Manager to define software requirements; and to assess feasibility of solution within time constraints.
- Conduct design and peer reviews including individual & team unit testing
- Proactively ensure prompt notification to PM of deviations and manage technical issues in working with other developers.
- Work with the project team to review problems, define and test solutions
- Exercise leadership through superior technical and domain knowledge
- Participation in the preparation of technical design documentation and create implementation instructions to support deployments
- Aid in the development of architectural framework and design
- Evaluate and introduce new tools and techniques to the development team
- Proactive approach to finding solutions and managing problems.
- Proactively identify areas for improvement, seek solutions and make recommendations
- Remain up to date of development technologies, both current and future in order to deliver state of the BI solutions for our customers.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant discipline and 5 years of software engineering.
- Software development experience working with SQL Server 2012+.
- Ability to move between high level architectural review/design and the “roll up the sleeves” level of implementing all phases of a BI solution delivery project.
- End to end Microsoft BI solution experience with the entire Microsoft SQL Server BI stack: SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, Power BI, and core SQL.
- Expert level knowledge in at least one, and deep knowledge of the following areas: SQL Server Analysis Services, SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration Services.
- Experience in a software development environment developing, testing and documenting code for N-tier software solutions.
- Experience with design of relational databases, dimensional models, data marts, operational data stores, and transactional databases.
- Understanding of BI concepts and methodologies – DW lifecycle (Kimball) / star schema / data normalization / data mining / data federation / etc…
- Advanced experience in SQL Server performance tuning and administration working with large databases.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects involving a variety of resources with defined deadlines/schedules.
- Strong attention to the quality of work delivered.
- Experience interfacing with Customers and External users
- Strong written & oral communication skills with the ability to work with different levels of the organization
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects involving a variety of resources with defined deadlines/schedules
- Strong attention to the quality of work delivered (attention to detail)
- Able to adapt quickly to changing client requirements
- Enjoy working in a self-teaching, learning organization
- Experience with one or more of the following industries: Natural Resources, Healthcare, Retail, Finance, and Insurance.
- Experience driving technology integration and adoption in complex heterogeneous environments.
- Microsoft Certification (MCSE: Data Platform/BI)
- Software development experience working with the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5+, ASP.Net.
- Familiar with software development patterns and technologies such as MVC and Entity Framework.
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint 2013+.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Big Data approach, Power BI, delivering BI solutions in Azure, and familiarity with massively parallel databases.
- Ability to describe differences between solution methods and the challenges and approaches to integrating solutions built on different platforms.
- Ability to express the benefits that Microsoft SQL Server Products present over other Microsoft competitors.
One Firm engaged to make a difference through valued relationships with our people, clients and communities.
** Accommodation is available to applicants with a disability