We are currently looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial person to join our team in the position of Indirect Tax Manager in our Montreal Office Tax department. Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume.
Acting as a business advisor, the successful applicant will become a contact person for the firm's clients and his colleagues in regards to indirect tax. In this role, the candidate will be required to provide advice on indirect taxes (asset acquisition/disposition, new products/services, imports, etc.) as well as develop practical and innovative solutions. The successful applicant will also represent clients with indirect tax audits and objections.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Advise the firm’s clients on the application of indirect taxes in a business context and ensuring appropriate compliance procedures
- Act as resource person for colleagues in other departments
- Provide indirect tax advice in various firm mandates, such as business acquisition/disposition or restructuring
- Participate actively in developing indirect tax mandates
- Support clients during tax audits
- Analyze assessment projects, or assessments, and represent clients in disputes with government authorities
- Perform research on indirect tax issues; write tax memorandums
- Provide assistance with respect to voluntary disclosures
- Participate in internal and external client training, and training of junior indirect tax staff
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- Hold a CPA designation, be a lawyer or a notary
- Hold, or in the process of obtaining, a Masters degree in Tax, Advanced Graduate Diploma in Tax, or completed CPA Canada's "GST In-Depth Tax Course" is an asset
- At least four years’ experience in indirect taxes
- Strong technical knowledge of indirect tax matters
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and proven ability with practical and innovative solutions
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Manage engagements independently
- Strong will to improve technical knowledge in indirect tax
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and in English
- Good knowledge of MS Office and tax research software
Why Work for BDO?
- BDO is the 5th largest accounting and advisory firm in the world
- At BDO, we consider our people to be our most valuable asset; we offer the opportunity to grow and develop in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- We offer an unmatched degree of flexibility to help you professionally and personally succeed
- We provide competitive salaries, a flexible benefits package and a matching RRSP option
- Opportunity to work with like-minded individuals to support career development
- BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives, FCC’s “Drive Away Hunger”, Children’s Miracle Network and United Way
One Firm engaged to make a difference through valued relationships with our people, clients and communities.